Clyde they remember the
                      LITTLE LOST RIVER VALLEY


    A large number of cattle were grazed on the hills and in the valley clear to Goldverg.  Most of the people living at Clyde had a few or many.  Some ranchers from down in the Howe area also summer ranged up there. Kyles, Jones and Jim Walkers did for sure and there may have been others. Each ranch had to have it's own cowboys. Good pasture, but lots of bog holes were all the way down the Summit Creek area. Constant watch was kept and an average of 5 cows a day had to be pulled out.

    Harley Kyle spent his first summer up there at the age of 14, then two more summers after that.

Bringing the herd home in the winter was a long and hard and often very cold drive. Harley's Grandpa Pecks' place at Barney Hot Springs was one place to stay at night. He also bunked, as did some of the other riders, at the stage station just above where the Waymill Canyon road takes off. This was as located right on where the road now runs., just in front of a spring that came out of the hill there. It was boxed in and served as refrigerator and water source.

    Harley tells about  sage hens coming there every morning to water. One morning he was in the station alone and saw them and decided to treat the cook with some fresh chicken. Je picked up an old 10 gage shot gun that was hanging on the wall and took one careful shot that netted a couple of birds and knocked him half way across the room and put him flat on his back.

    Part of the supplies that were brought up to the station were some big wooden barrels of jellybeans and gumdrops. the lid was loose enough on the jellybeans that he could just work out a few at a time for several days. When the cook opened them he made the remark loud enough to be sure Harley could hear. "They sure did short me on this keg of beans."

    Horse thieves and other dodging the law would come, hole up for awhile and go on their way staying at various places. No one asked them anything and they volunteered little, was just a way of life.

    Small stills of whiskey making were tucked away in the canyons. Two fellows tasted some of their new batch and died.

    There's a little spring below Bear Canyon where an older and quite young man were well established. One morning the younger fellow came in, he had run his horse all the way form the still to the station to tell Mel Jewel that his partner had drunk too much of their brew the night before and was dead that morning. Me.. Jewel had come over the mountains from Montana. He had killed a sheriff there. He was hiding out and living at L.V. Scott's. He stayed in Clyde long enough to kind of out live the incident and went back to Texas where he was from originally.

    A few of the riders had a little "moonshining" business going on, on the side. They would butcher a beef or two a week and sell to the restaurants in May and Patterson. There is a cave just out in the middle of the sagebrush to the south and west, kind of between where the stage stop was and Barney Hot Springs. The cave was dark and cool and quite often a butchered beef would be hung out there. Here again, most knew what was going on, but just kept a watchful eye on their own and would "live and let live". The men gained their rightful disrespect and disdain from the others but that's about all. It was when someone made it a real business that he was apprehended.

    It was a long ride from Barney's to Howe for a dance., but people took that in stride too. One time Norman Peck took a girl from up there to a dance at Howe. He got to drinking and ran off and left her there. She asked Harley to take her home, so they got a horse from the ranch and they rode back up to her place. He stayed for an hour or so at Grandpas Peck's at Barney's and then rode back home.

    Harley's Mother, Anna, was in poor health one spring, so she and Charles moved up to Sawmill Canyon for the summer. They lived in a tent, I think. How that could have helped her health no one ever said, but Grandpa did the riding that year. Someone brought them an orphan, baby deer and Grandma fed him on the bottle using canned milk. She always wore big full length aprons and whenever anyone would ride up to their camp, the deer would run to Grandma and hide as much of himself, head first, as he could under her apron. By fall he was weaned and the others up kind of watched him and then he just went off  on his own.
This book was written and compiled by Anna Kyle Sermon  and typed and published by Harleen Kyle Baird.
    Copyright, 2000 by Anna Kyle Sermon. Permission given to use a few stories of the Valley area.


 :: Home :: Back