First Settlers Came to Lost River
 
 
    Lost River was visited by the first white man on June 1, 1823. A party of French fur traders under command of one Antone Godin first discovered what we now call "Lost River." Being without a name, it was proposed that the river be called "Godin River" in honor of the man in charge of the first party of white men to set foot in the Lost River country.

    Ten years after he had discovered the region, Godin returned here for further exploration, but met death at the hands of unfriendly Indians. Years later- and during the time intervening  the place had been forgotten - a company of solders enroute to Ft. Hall  from Lemhi, traveled across what is now know as Lost River. Upon reaching Ft. Hall they reported that they crossed a river while traveling easterly from Lemhi. Later another company of soldiers was sent from Ft. Hall to make further report on the discovery, but getting off the course, they reached the vicinity of Champaign Creek and unable to find a river, returned and reported that the river had been lost. This is one version of how the river received its name. Another  belief is a party of trapper tried to reach Snake River by following Lost River. Upon reaching the sinks, discovered that the river disappeared, and then reported that it was a most peculiar stream losing      itself in the desert waste. The later version seems most likely to be the reason for the name.

    The earliest permanent settlers came to the Lost River country in '78. The first water right was filed on in' 79, by Dan Richardson then owner of what is now the Elkhorn ranch north of Mackay. It is now owned by Murray Longhurst, but came into possession of Clay Vance and his mother following the death of Mr. Richardson.

    A. N.  Anderson came about '81 and settled on what is now the Walter Jensen ranch north of Moore. Chas. Aiken settled here about '83 and took as a homestead, land lying north of the Hanna ranch and now owned by J. M. Bate. About '81 the DeWitts settled at the mouth of Antelope on the place known to later settlers as the Dave Taylor ranch, later owned by J. H. Greene who arrived in the early '80s. Ap. Lambson  and Pony Dixon  located about '81 or '82 down stream from Houston on the creek. The same year Marsh and Madison located at the mouth of Pass creek. Later they sold their ranch to Chas. Furey, who for several years prior had been sheriff of Alturas county.

    The Vances kept a stage station at the Big Butte, but after the death of Mr. Vance, moved to the Richardson ranch Arco smith established a station at Old Arco in the early '80s. The late Geo. E. Ferris arrived at Old Arco about '83. Joe Gallagher established a store in Houston in '84. J. D. Daniel's made his first trip through Lost River in '81, enroute to the mines in the upper country from Malad, with a load of provisions. He bought a "Squatter's right" in ' 84 for 160 acres of land near Houston for $100 About the same year Harris brothers arrived. Mose Betty and Joe Jenkins settled on Alder creek in '83 and made their home at what is now known as the Battle Ground above Mackay. Other settlers during the years 1880 to 1885 were Wm. Matthews, Sr., '84; Wm. Hanna '84; James Berverland, ' 85; Billy Rinehart, '84; a. d. Quantrell, '84, the latter conducting a livery stable at Houston, later disposing of it to James Mitchell; W. E Hull who conducted at drug store at Era in '84, Otto Fleischer, '83; R. W. Ferris, '85; J.D. Martin, '84; J. T. Welch, '84; James King, '85; Chas. McGee, '84; Wm. Beers, '85;  Matt Boyle, '84; T.B. Long, '84; Chas Lowe, '85; S.T. Moe. '83; C.F. Baker, '82; Gus. Hein, '84; Chas. Gould, '85; Antone Voso, '79; G.W. Powell , '79; Al Mulhall, '84; Daniel Puckett, '83; Henry Harger, '84; Thos. Ferguson, '85; Sam Martin, '80; Ira George, '85.

    The earliest settlers in the Little Lost  River country were E.R. and D. B. Hawley who came in the early eighties, the Kyle's, Chas McDermott and Pete Lowe, also numbered among the earliest arrivals.

    Many of the above named have long since passed to the land of eternal rest. All played a part in the upbuilding and development of this section and many lived to see  their judgment come true, that the valley would blossom as a rose.

    Hewing the present productive valley out of the rough land that Lost River was in '79 and the years following was no child's play and only the survival of the fittest saw the transformation of the land from the abode of Indians to a peaceful Valley- the home of the white man.
 
 

:: Home :: Back :: :